Monday, February 15, 2010

(Interrupted)

Men without chests are more likely interrupt a girl in mid-sentence, which is dangerous. You may miss something important if you don't let her finish.

It's hard, I know. Listening to women speak is annoying. I would much rather hear a man speak on a significant topic, too. But if you don't listen when a woman speaks, you're going to miss something.

Not at first, not really. It may take a while for you to realize that your words have become hollow and vitrified. And it may take you a while to realize that you hear nothing but the echo of your own voice. But when you do, oh sweet one, my sweet boyo, when you do, I weep for the pain you will feel on that day. The howling emptiness, the depth of shame, the anger at yourself, at her, at everything. It's hell. I've been there before; I know what it's like down there. You're going to feel it. You're going to feel so desperate that you will reach out - not for the bottle, or the quick-fix girl, or the meaningless work you drown yourself in - you will reach out to other human beings and ask them for help. You will let them see you in all your shame and glory, and you will let them touch you. And I don't know if I will be there. I don't know if I'll want to. I hate your fucking guts, which is confusing, because I also love you, too, and want to spend my lifeblood for your good, to care for you with the strength and agility of at least eleven metaphorical tigers.

Oh God, I don't understand anything anymore. I thought I had something going, but he interrupted me again, and now I've lost my train of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment